Frequently Asked Questions

Does your program offer a bachelor's in Bioengineering? 

We do not currently offer a BS in Bioengineering. However, we do offer a undergraduate certificate that any KU Engineering discipline can take advantage of.

Is entrance into your graduate program competitive?

Yes. We only expect to admit highly accomplished undergraduate students, with undergraduate research experience, and research interests that fit our research program strengths.

Are Graduate Teaching Assistantships, Graduate Research Assistantships, Fellowships, and Scholarships available?

Yes, but all are highly competitive.  Funding is available to both PhD and MS students. 

How much is the application fee? 

As of Fall 2018, the fee for application to KU Graduate School is $65 (domestic), $85 (international). Application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

How many years are required to finish your graduate program?

We anticipate our MS and PhD students to finish in approximately two and four years, respectively. This will vary depending on the student’s background and motivation. You can see data on out average time to degree by checking out our program profiles [Link under construciton].

Is a “coursework only” MS degree in bioengineering available?

No. The MS in Bioengineering requires a thesis.

What should be my undergraduate major? 

Students interested in pursuing a bioengineering graduate degree should have a bachelor’s degree or masters degree in engineering, the biological sciences, physical sciences, or a related field.

What GPA is required?

The University of Kansas has a required GPA of 3.0 or higher for all graduate students.

What parts of the GRE do I have to take?

We only require the general test.

What score does your program require for the GRE?

We do not require a specific score on any section of the GRE but would prefer applicants above 50% in all categories.

Where can I get more information about taking the GRE?

Please visit the Educational Testing Service website.

When do classes begin?

Our semesters follow the calendar established by the University of Kansas. The Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters generally begin in the third week of August, the third week of January, and the first week of June, respectively.

Where are the classes conducted? At KU-Medical Center or in Lawrence?

Courses are offered on both campuses but the vast majority are offered at the Lawrence campus. Some courses may be broadcasted across campuses.

Where are Faculty Advisors located?

Faculty advisors are distributed across the two campuses. The student will choose from the faculty advisors who have expressed an interest in accepting the student.

How do I select a track for study?

We advise students to research the available tracks of study, including talking to the faculty advisors and graduate students in the track of interest.

Is the TOEFL required for all international students applying for admissions into your Graduate program?

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for any applicant who indicates that English is not their native language. Additionally, the Test of Spoken English (TSE) may be required. Please see KU English Proficiency Requirements for more details.